April 2002 Meeting
Date: Sunday, April 21
Time: Sign up for one of two identical sessions, 1:15 to 3:30 PM or 3:30 to 5:45 PM
Place: Home of Dick Burwen
12 Holmes Road
Lexington, MA 02420
|Directions from I-95/128: Exit 32A going north or 32B going south. Go east on Middlesex Turnpike
toward Arlington. Third right onto Thorough Road. Second left onto Holmes Road. 12 Holmes Road, 4th on the right, has a brick front and many lights.
Enter the right front door.
||For a Map,
(opens in a new window)
To reduce the sound absorption from many members there will be two identical sessions: from 1:15 to 3:30 PM and from 3:30 to 5:45 PM. People should
sign up in advance by [Replying to Al Foster's original e-mail] or to Dave Hadaway at email@example.com.
Or, leave Dave a message at 603-899-5121. We may have to shift a few people to a different session to even the numbers. Please reply by April 18, 2002.
Meeting Topic: 20,000 Watt Home Hi-Fi System
As a Consulting Electronics Engineer for 60 companies since 1961, Dick Burwen has designed circuits for spacecraft, power supplies,
video displays, medical equipment, integrated circuits, and audio products. Lately he has been designing switching servo amplifiers and high power gradient
amplifiers for hospital magnetic resonance imaging systems. His passion is sound reproduction and he designed his home around his hi-fi system. It has
169 woofers, mid range horns, and tweeters in one room.
The program for each session will be as follows:
(1) Arrive 20 minutes early so you can talk with friends and have a soft drink and snack. Session 1 starts promptly at 1:15 pm.
Session 2 starts promptly at 3:30 pm.
(2) Description of the sound system and acoustic design.
(3) Planned music demonstration with 2 channel CDs, 5 channel SACDs, and Dick's concert recordings.
(4) Description of the computer operated DSP Tone Control and Reverberation systems.
(5) More planned music, video, and 5 minutes of slides.
(6) Play members CDs. Don't bring more than one CD because only 15 minutes is allotted. Visitors can take home a copy of Audio,
April, 1995 containing Dick's article, "20,000 Watt Home Hi-Fi Gets Digital EQ".
( For a preview of what you will see click HERE ! Not
to be missed! )